Tel 0845
Online Accounting – Online Book Keeping – Online Payroll
Knowledge Base

Once I start trading when should I notify HMRC?

You should inform HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you intend to trade as an individual or as a partnership as early as possible. If you do not inform HMRC within three months of starting to trade you will incur a £100 penalty.
When commencing trade you should also start to pay Class 2 National Insurance Contributions. If you self employed income is below the threshold set by HMRC each year then you can apply for an exemption.


The content and advice is for information only. Last updated 26.07.2009.

For up to date information and advice, based on your specific circumstances, please contact us.

We cannot be held responsible for actions taken with reference to the content contained on this website.


Get a Quote

Sign Up!

I switched from my conventional accountant so I could access my accounts on a 24/7 basis and my accountancy bill has reduced from over £6,000.00 to just £1896.00. The staff at Net Accounting are so helpful and I have absolutely no complaints. I look forward to dealing with Net Accounting for many years to come.

Churston Finance Ltd

Take a Tour