Tel 0845
Online Accounting – Online Book Keeping – Online Payroll
Knowledge Base

NI for the self employed

If you're self-employed

  • you pay 'Class 2' National Insurance contributions at a flat rate weekly amount of £2.40
  • you also pay 'Class 4' National Insurance contributions as a percentage of your taxable profits - you pay eight per cent on annual taxable profits between £5,715 and £43,875 and one per cent on any taxable profit over that amount
  • if your earnings in the 2010-11 tax year are expected to be less than £5,075 then you may be entitled to the Small Earnings Exception, meaning you don't have to pay any Class 2 National Insurance contributions - you can apply for Small Earnings Exception certificate for the 2010-11 tax year on form CF10


The content and advice is for information only. Last updated 09.11.2010.

For up to date information and advice, based on your specific circumstances, please contact us.

We cannot be held responsible for actions taken with reference to the content contained on this website.


Get a Quote

Sign Up!

net-accounting produce my annual accounts and provide a great friendly service with a quick turn around. My account manager and all the net-accounting team are very approachable and helpful.

Candle Ah! Bra

Take a Tour